Re: Database Link between Oracle8 and Oracle 7.3

From: <decompton_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 00:31:42 GMT

In article <7ihe74$9le$1_at_freeside.cls.net>,   "Ulrik Hoffmann" <ulrik_at_hoffmann-kiel.de> wrote:

> Nicolas Bronke <news_at_TRINITY.de> wrote:
374c1df1_at_news.uk.ibm.net...
> > I have some trouble creating (using) a
database link between both
> databases.
> >
> > If I create a database link from my oracle
7.3 database to my oracle 8
> > database, everthing works as expected.
> >
> > But if I try to create a database link from
my Oracle 8 database to
> another
> > (it does no matter whether the other is
Oracle 8 or Oracle 7.3) I receive
> > the errormessage ORA-2085, which means create
a database link with the
> same
> > name as the database to which connects.
> >
> > Curious?
> >
> > I use the command like
> >
> > create public database link TEST
> > connect to TESTUSER identified by PASSWORD
using 'TEST';

> > Therefore if I use the command connect
testuser/password_at_test everything
> > works fine but not the database link.
> >
> > What do I wrong? Any hints? Thank you for
that.

> > Btw: All database runs under NT 4.0 with
TCP/IP.

> > Kind regards
> > Nicolas Bronke
> >

> Hi Nicolas,
>
> maybe it's a SQL-Net problem
> check your TNSNAMES.ORA in \ORACLE_HOME\NET80
\ADMIN.
> I think the 8.0-Server uses the TNSNAMES.ORA in
that NET80- directory.

> Bye Uli

Also, switch the value of the GLOBAL_DBNAMES parameter in the init.ora on the O8 database. One setting forces you to create database links with the same name as the database you are connecting to, the other setting allows you to create names as you like. I forget which way is which.

dave

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Thu May 27 1999 - 19:31:42 CDT