HELP! Parallel query problem

From: <kal121_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 20:31:05 GMT

Hello all,

Here is a very strange problem:

I was running a query with the following hint: /*+ ORDERED PARALLEL (r, 16) */

init.ora has:
parallel_min_servers = 2
parallel_max_servers = 8

The query is running against a partitioned table. Using this hint and partitioning, it ran at 1.3 minutes (which is great, considering it used to run at 20 minutes!)

So, just for fun, I set max_servers to 32 in both the hint and the init.ora file. Well, the query didn't do so hot - so I shut down Oracle and restarted it with parallel_max_servers set back to 16 and changed the hint to use 16 also.

I fully expected the query to perform back at 1.3 minutes as it had previously. Well, it didn't! Now it's running at 4 minutes and it won't budge. I've restarted my machine (WinNT 4.0). Nothing. Still 4 minutes. I've dropped the partitioned table, rebuilt the partitions. Still 4 minutes!

So what happened here??? Please help. Desperate.

Thanks.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Thu May 27 1999 - 15:31:05 CDT