Oracle DBA newbie - rollback segments offline on server restart

From: Scott Dunbar <dunbar_at_commerce.com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 14:12:48 -0600

Hi,

    I've got an Oracle 8.1.5 server on Solaris 7 that, every time it is restarted, the rollback segments are offline. All other segments come up fine. I can manually bring the segment online, but would obviously like this to occur automatically. There do not seem to be any errors in any of the files that I can find. However, given the number of directories and files in Oracle, I easily could have missed something. The version of the server is 8.1.5.0.0. The actual error that I get on the client side when this happens is:

ORA-01552: cannot use system rollback segment for non-system tablespace 'USERS' Here are my rollback segments:

SQL> select segment_name, owner, tablespace_name from dba_rollback_segs;

SEGMENT_NAME                   OWNER  TABLESPACE_NAME
------------------------------ ------ ------------------------------
SYSTEM                         SYS    SYSTEM
R01                            SYS    RBS
R02                            SYS    RBS
R03                            SYS    RBS
R04                            SYS    RBS

If I add:

ROLLBACK_SEGMENTS=(R01, R02, R03, R04) to init.ora, will this allow them to come online automatically? (the system is in use so I don't want to bounce it without a high degree of confidence)

Thanks in advance for any information.

--

Scott Dunbar                            Global Commerce Systems
dunbar_at_commerce.com                     Boulder, CO, USA