Re: SQL server Vs Oracle - Technical/prices issues please

From: Jason Filby <jasonf_at_global.co.za>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 09:25:30 +0200

Hi

Chris Weiss <weisschr_at_pilot.msu.edu> wrote in message news:7ih6h0$21b$1_at_msunews.cl.msu.edu...

> SQL server cannot be tuned as heavily as Oracle. SQL Server is still
bound
> to Sybase's basic architecture which makes management easier but tuning is
> less effective.

There is no doubt that Oracle performs better right now. And architecture isn't impossible to change, although it is very difficult, I read that there were changes in SQL Server's architecture between 6.5 and 7. What's more, how many people out there know how to tune Oracle to it's max? Sure if you go on their courses (more $$) then you probably can. But you can probably tune SQL Server pretty well without as much knowledge. If you have unlimited $ then Oracle is great. All I'm saying is that performance isn't the be all and end all. Oracle should know that -- DB2 performs better, but Oracle wins because they have a better total solution.

> I think Larry Ellis has feared MS for years. His attacks on Microsoft
have been open and loud. The fact that Oracle is working
> with Sun to produce a database appliance shows Oracle's commitment to
undermining the lock NT seems to have on small to
> midrange servers. Oracle has also worked with Network Appliance to
produce file servers with special file systems
> dedicated to optimizing the performance of Oracle. I believe that Oracle
would like to provide a soup to nuts database
> solution with a server that could be maintained and run completely from
within Oracle.

Yes, they are doing some great work. All I was saying is not to underestimate MS.

> Open source is highly overrated. Look at the problems with the various
distributions of Linux. See if you can make Red Hat
> 6.0 work as well as 5.2. New releases of Linux are usually disasterous.

Compare the latest Linux systems to Linux version 1.0. Compare any other product over the same timespan and you won't find anything else that has grown as much. It's not about where a product is now -- it's about where it's going, it's growth. You can't grow anything as fast as Open Source can, you just can't. I think Oracle's development tools would really get a boost if they Open Sourced them. But I know the concept is still knew and hasn't been proved that effectively yet.