Is it possible to partially restore after a crash?

From: <smb_slb_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 17:35:01 GMT

Hi all,

We have a system composed of a relatively small amount of vital data and a huge amount of not-so-vital data (probably like a 1/400 ratio). Assuming that I store all the vital tables on one tablespace (called PROCESS) and the other data on a second tablespace (called RESULTS), is it possible for the system to run if the RESULTS tablespace has been trashed? Specifically, if the system crashes, is it okay to restore just the PROCESS tablespace but not restore the results tablespace (or restore it to a much older state, say when the system first came online)?

We're looking at 2-5 GB for PROCESS data and 200GB - 1 TB for RESULTS data. The way I figure it, we'll do RAID 5 or 10 on the whole affair, but only do tape backups of the PROCESS tablespace. If we have a catastrophic failure, we just restore PROCESS plus an empty RESULTS tablespace.

The only RI in between the two subsystems is the RESULTS referring to some stuff in PROCESS, so losing everything in RESULTS won't leave any dangling references.

Will this work?

--== Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ ==-- ---Share what you know. Learn what you don't.--- Received on Wed May 26 1999 - 12:35:01 CDT