I am confused re PCTFREE and PCTUSED...

From: NNOOR <Nnoor_at_cris.com>
Date: 26 May 1999 08:00:55 PDT

Hi,

Following is straight from Oracle documentation re: PCTFREE and PCTUSED: "After the free space in a data block reaches PCTFREE, no new rows are inserted in that block until the percentage of space used falls below PCTUSED."

I am a little confused. Say that PCTFREE is 20 (default) and PCUSED is 40 (default). Does that mean, that any given time (assuming updates do not occur at a very high rate, and if they do, they do not change the data size significantly), the maximum space used in a block is only 40%?---20% is left free for updates, and data base will stop inserting rows into the block when it reaches 40% used. Am I drawing correct conclusions from the statement quoted above?

Thanks and Regards,
Nasir Noor (nnoor_at_cris.com) Received on Wed May 26 1999 - 10:00:55 CDT