Re: Oracle Names restriction?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 19:46:39 +0200

Hi Joe,

I completely agree with you. Yet, things already got out of hand: database names are not unique currently.
Actually the tnsnames.ora is a mess. What they have been doing (and I and others seem to have inherited) is composing the servicename from database_name.node_name.domain_name
Of course, as far as Oracle is concerned the node_name.domain_name string is the domain.
db_domain in init<sid>.ora is world everywhere and presto. And all of that mess has been generated according to comments with Net8 Assistant, while there are no Oracle 8 production databases. Painful decisions will have to be made anyway/anyhow

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA