Re: special character - '&'

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 13:47:32 GMT

A copy of this was sent to Nobody you know <hl_harkness_at_my-dejanews.com> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Tue, 25 May 1999 13:21:16 GMT, you wrote:

>I previously posted a question about the '&' character embedded in
>data, which seemed to defeat anything I tried, until I wrote a PL/SQL
>stored procedure, which could handle it. Even so, I ran into yet
>another problem with this character -- it causes problem EVEN IN A
>COMMENT. Try it (Oracle 7.4)! It doesn't matter which style of
>comment.
>
>Is this bug fixed in version 8?

the & is a SPECIAL character only to SQLPlus. Its the default macro substitution character.

Try this:

SQL> set scan off

Now, that feature is turned off and your code will just 'go'. Its not a bug.

See http://www.oracle.com/ideveloper/ for my column 'Digging-in to Oracle8i'...

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Service Industries
Reston, VA USA

--
Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Tue May 25 1999 - 08:47:32 CDT