Re: backup question

From: Sally Pearce <nospam_at_dundee.ncr/com>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 06:57:13 -0400

Our 8GB Financials gets backed up to tape every night using cpio, run from a script executed by cron (which also shuts down the database, does a disk to disk backup and brings up the database when both backups have completed). As long as the tape unit can handle the amount of data (our DLT units can hold up to 20GB) cpio won't complain.

> > I am doing this on a HP 10.20 K series machine. Oh...Yes, and I lied a
> > bit. cpio is nout wining, but cpio's manpage is. It says that cpio will
> > not create archives greater than 2G. cpio IS wining when I create an
> > archive on DISK which would become greater than 2G. I haven't tried
> > writing to tape but the manpage does not give much hope.
> >
> > The question really is: should I do the hassle with cpio | tar | dd?
How