Re: Connect internal problem

From: <private_comm_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 10:44:19 GMT

In article <7idr33$hat$1_at_news1.xs4all.nl>,   "wessie" <wessie_at_xs4all.nl> wrote:
> L.S.,
>
> I'm not a dba but just a developer and out of interest I subscribed
myself
> to recieve a copy of the Oracle8i Enterprise Edition cd-rom via the
OTN.

> After installing it (NT) I wanted to migrate my existing database to
this
> newer version.
> To do so, you'll have to connect internal. I always thought you must
connect
> as user sys to connect internal, and indeed, the helpfile states:
> Connects as username SYS via keyword INTERNAL. Should be used rarely
and
> only by the DBA for certain maintenance purposes; requires operating
system
> privileges. CONNECT INTERNAL is supported for backwards compatibility
only.

> I am able to connect to the database as user sys, but when I try to
connect
> internal, I get error ora-01031 - insufficient privileges.
> When I supply the password of user sys in Oracle8i Data Migration
Assistant,
> it says invalid usernbame/password.
>
> I've never changed privileges or roles on user sys, so what could be
the
> problem ?
>
> TAI,
>
> Wessel.

The internal password is not the same as SYS and it is defined at the creation of the database. Try oracle as this is the default (I think).

The easisest way to migrate to 8i to do an export from your current db and import it to the new version.

Hope that has helped.

PC.

--== Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ ==-- ---Share what you know. Learn what you don't.--- Received on Tue May 25 1999 - 05:44:19 CDT