Re: NLS QUESTION - WE8ISO8859P1 - Russian Cyrillic ???

From: Mich <Mich_at_tomcat.ru>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 11:14:52 +0300

Kristy пишет в сообщении <3749c561.17195676_at_client.ce.news.psi.net> ...
>Hi Gang:
>
>We have been using the WE8ISO8859P1 character set in our Oracle
>database with great success with our French, German, U.K., etc. users
>until now...
>
>Our test user in Russia enters and sees Cyrillic characters on the
>screen (Windows) but after she saves and retrieves the record, the
>Cyrillic characters are gone. Is it possible to have different
>clients with different character sets all using the same database???

Yes, you can store russian letters in the database generated with this charset, and it will be all right
if your russian tester will have NLS_LANGUAGE=xxx_xxx.WE8ISO8859P1 on his workstation.
But, possibly there will be a problems with sorts, because this charset does not really support russian charset. Using different charsets on the same database os possible (AFAIK) only if you are using unicode charset on database, or ORACLE8, which supports 2 charsets on the same database.