Re: Oracle v. SQL Server

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 11:54:55 +0200

Bjørn Augestad wrote in message <37486587.7E9111D9_at_online.no>...

>Anyway, can someone fill me in on the things that separates Oracle from
>MS SQL Server from a developers perspective? Does anyone use objects,
>object views, multiple instances, triggers written in Java, varrays,
>nested tables, Oracle pipes, dimensions and materialized views, Advanced
>Queuing, or is this stuff just feature creep from the Marketing
>department?

It depends. In some larger projects these type of features are critical. Especially when you need to perform complex batch processing on the server and hook that up to controls and monitors via the database to the client front-ends. Sure SQL-Server has similar features in many cases (like XK_CMDHELL instead of the more complex but more secure DBMS_PIPES of Oracle). But I think these are besides the point as these issues are from a design perspective and not IMHO from a programmer/developer perspective.

From a pure developer/programmer perspective, it should be totally transperant to the programmer as to what type of database runs in the background. Which makes the choice of the -development- tool and method of abstracting the physical database design important (e.g. OO design and programming).

Programmers should deal with user interaction, business logic and rules - and not with database hints and other database specific complexities. And even business logic and rules should be implemented as far as possible into the database design so that the programmers only need to deal with user interaction and the presentation of information. So from this perspective I do not think that Oracle or SQL-Server can be compared or should be compared as the database does not feature in this equation - IMHO of course!. :-)

>What is really bad about Oracle, and therefore should be avoided?

The sales people. And some of their "consultants". Seriously.

regards,
Billy Received on Mon May 24 1999 - 04:54:55 CDT