Re: Oracle 8i

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 16:08:10 GMT

A copy of this was sent to "Barry" <odbc_at_mailexcite.com> (if that email address didn't require changing) On 22 May 1999 17:37:17 +1000, you wrote:

>I have used most of the new features in Oracle and todate all work
>great with the exception of the Log Miner, I have a TAR with Oracle Support
>
>Just when I thought 8i was the best release yet, I found it was sucking
>all my servers memory (see Oracle8i eats memory post in the news group
>around 21/5/99)
>
>Unless Oracle provide me some answers soon we are going back to 8.0.5

I think this might be the java_pool_size which defaults to 20m and has a minimum setting of 1m (java_pool_size= 1048576) and doesn't show up in the "show sga" command.

so, you have a 20m different in show sga and "ipcs -b" -- it'll be the java_pool_size.

>Delbert Hickman <hickman_delbert_at_prc.com> wrote in article
><37459F50.AA579019_at_prc.com>...
>> Hi,
>>
>> Does anyone have any good or bad things to say regarding Oracle 8i. I'm
>> interested in finding out things such as its stability etc.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Delbert

See http://www.oracle.com/ideveloper/ for my column 'Digging-in to Oracle8i'...

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Service Industries
Reston, VA USA

--
Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Sat May 22 1999 - 11:08:10 CDT