Re: Oracle 8i eats memory !!!

From: Barry <odbc_at_mailexcite.com>
Date: 22 May 1999 17:32:22 +1000

Hello

Fred Stojentin <stojentin_at_orgdv.din.de> wrote in article
> Hello,
>
> please keep in mind, that shared memory means shared memory.
> The process list displays the amount of memory for each process
> but it does not check if it is shared memory or not. If you are
> running six processes which all use the same chunk of shared memory
> then the output of the ps command will show you six times the
> effective memory in use.

Agreed

> Maybe there is a tool on your machine to display the memory addresses
> of the chunks the processes have in use. You will see, that they
> mostly use all the same shared segment(s).
>
> On hp unix you can use glance, but i dont know what Solaris tools
> exists.

So far I have just tried pmap <PID>

However lets forget about how much memory each process has for the moment, now I admit I am not a Unix sysadmin level but I can plainly see that my old 8.0.5 database with an SGA of 6MB used to grab a 6Mb shared memory segment and now under 8.1.5 (no init.ora changes or MTS, PARR SVR etc) and now grabs 26MB and with our 6 small DBs our little SUN sever has ground to a halt.