Re: Database vs. Tablespace vs. Datafiles

From: Greg <news2_at_baxnet.net>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 15:06:11 GMT

Alex, Andreas, Pete, Gary -

I REALLY APPRECIATE THE REPLIES! I've still got one nagging question however:

  1. Let's say I go and "login" to Ora's internal account, which I am *assuming* is the system DB ?
  2. I create five new tablespaces, each with 2 or 3 datafiles. No problem. I'm assuming these tablespaces are just hanging around out there not "attached" or being used for anything at all.
  3. Now I create a DB called "NEWDB" and attempt to use one of the above data files as my system. The system gripes that the file already exists, do I want to UN-ATTACH it from it's current tablespace?
  4. Just to be cooperative I say yes, and it whooshes along and creates this new database - NEWDB.
  5. Now, I've got NEWDB created, but supposedly not mounted or opened? But now I want to add more tablespaces to it (index, rollback etc) but I'm told I have to add it via specific DATAFILES (which happens to belong to a tablespace if they already exist)? So if I have to add index, rollback, user space etc by the DATAFILE, THEN WHY THE HECK DO I NEED TABLESPACES?
  6. What good are tablespaces if I'm forced to work at the FILE LEVEL FOR DBA WORK?
  7. Plz read #6 again - I think that's my biggest hangup...
  8. With this new DB up, just how do I add more tablespaces to it? Do I switch logins, say to NEWDB, then just add new tablespaces with specific names (I.e. "rollback") the DB is expecting?

Even more lost - Greg

In article <7i32la$d5l$1_at_taliesin.netcom.net.uk>, alex.hudghton_at_capgemini.co.uk says...

--
Advertisers using spambots, please don't send to the following addresses: president_at_whitehouse.gov vice.president_at_whitehouse.gov first.lady_at_whitehouse.gov consumerline_at_ftc.gov crc_at_ftc.gov fraud_at_uspis.gov uce_at_ftc.gov rhunt_at_fcc.gov jquello_at_fcc.gov sness_at_fcc.gov rchong_at_fcc.gov customer_at_usps.gov admin_at_HARRIS-MARKETING.COM postmaster_at_HARRIS-MARKETING.COM jmorton_at_SAVOYNET.COM postmaster_at_agis.net abuse_at_agis.net root_at_agis.net dns-admin_at_AGIS.NET noc_at_AGIS.NET hostmaster_at_agis.net pat.connally_at_state.co.us phil_at_agis.net webmaster_at_agis.net postmaster_at_localhost info_at_tsf-industries.com protect_at_atg.wa.gov lemon_at_atg.wa.gov monopoly_at_atg.wa.gov utility_at_atg.wa.gov c4enviro_at_atg.wa.gov emailago_at_atg.wa.gov kea_at_cognigen.com document_at_agis.net ip-request_at_agis.net routing_at_agis.net news_at_agis.net accounting_at_agis.net info_at_agis.net aapp_at_agis.net hr_at_agis.net emailer_at_qlink2info.com simrem_at_answerme.com hostmaster_at_INREACH.COM ap_at_INREACH.COM postmaster_at_EMAILDIRECT.NET abuse_at_EMAILDIRECT.NET root_at_EMAILDIRECT.NET postmaster_at_e-bizness.com abuse_at_e-bizness.com root_at_e-bizness.com comics_at_IAW.ON.CA maxemail_at_UNITED-CBE.ORG domreg_at_EMAILDIRECT.NET domreg_at_HOSTING.NETCOM.COM bobgalena_at_EARTHLINK.NET sales_at_marketingmasters.com bizpro_at_SOFTCOM.NET domreg_at_HOSTING.NETCOM.COM aral_at_ADDITIONALBENEFITS.COM Received on Fri May 21 1999 - 10:06:11 CDT