Re: ADVICE NEEDED - Striping? SQL? Speed

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 12:35:34 +0200

Jane H. wrote in message <7i270l$1ca_at_sjx-ixn9.ix.netcom.com>...
>PROBLEM:
>
>When I execute a query across the database (approx. 300mb), it takes about
>35 secs. to return the results.
>
>This is too long. I need it to be back in 4 seconds max, preferably much
>less. Any advice is appreciated.

Well, I can give you my 2'c on it.. :-)

The type of performance increase you're talking about (upgrading from Access to Oracle) must be cost justified first IMHO. Even if you go for something like SQL-Server instead of Oracle to upsize to. What is it worth in dollars and cents to go from a 35 sec response to a sub 4 sec response? A question that must be asked to the business or customers first.

If the decision is to go for Oracle, then yeah, there's many ways to make the SQL you posted to go much faster. It depends on the database design, indexes, the SQL and possibly even using the Parallel Query option of Oracle.

My suggestion. Download the trial version of Oracle 8.0.5 for Windows-NT (take a look in one of the folders in /pub/www in ftp.oracle.com). Install it, do a quick convert of the database (there's an Access Migration Wizard for Oracle I think) and play around with it. At least then you will have a good idea of what will be involved to run client applications against an Oracle database, the skills required in supporting and maintaining the Oracle back-end and the type of performance improvements that can be expected - together with the enormous flexibility that Oracle of course provides. In my experience the business usually appreciate hard numbers when it comes to justifying costs for something like changing platforms (hardware and/or software) for something like an increase in performance (and benefit) to the company. And on the IT/IS side you have a proper change to evaluate the technology first before recommending it.

regards,
Billy Received on Fri May 21 1999 - 05:35:34 CDT