SuSE Linux 6.0 and Oracle 8.0.5

From: Ramon Keller <kellr_at_info.isbiel.ch>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 10:15:44 +0200

Dear subscribers,

As a part of a sdudent project I have to set up an Oracle server on SuSE Linux 6.0.
I installed the server without any complex problem exepct this one:

As one of the first steps, I have to configure the shared memory and semaphore segments. Oherwhise dhe database will not start up. I've got no experience with kernel parameters. I found out, that under solaris this configuration must be done in the file /etc/system. But under SuSE 6.0 such a file doesn't exist by default.

So my question is:
Is there anyone who can tell me in which file the changes have to be done? Do I have to create /etc/system by myself?
If this is a FAQ pleas let me know.

thanks in advance
Ramon Keller