Re: archive error-Newbie

From: Pete Sharman <psharman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 00:51:17 -0700

The 255 is a generic look further down the stack error. The 270 is an error either creating or opening the destination file for archiving. Check that the archive destination is valid and that there is sufficient space on the destination device before worrying about other options to clear the logfile.

HTH. Pete

farrellyr_at_my-dejanews.com wrote:

> I am trying to run some hot backups on a database that was running in
> noarchivelog mode before and I think I made the necessary adjustments
> to the init.ora file, but maybe I missed something. I get the
> following errors - ORA-00255 - the redo log file '...TAG_LOG1A.DBF' was
> also given with that error. Also ORA-00270 and the archive file
> '...ARC00448.arc' was given with this error. I issued an alter system
> switch logfile and then I was trying to copy my *.arc files to a new
> location.
>
> Database log mode Archive Mode
> Automatic archival Enabled
> Archive destination D:\ORANT\RDBMS73
> Oldest online log sequence 447
> Next log sequence to archive 448
> Current log sequence 449
>
> I was wondering if 'alter database clear unarchived logfile' would be
> the answer to fix this problem or is there a chance I am missing
> something in init.ora file or somewhere else. Oracle7.3 NT4.

Regards

Pete

Pete Sharman                              Email: psharman_at_us.oracle.com
Project Manager                           Phone: +1.650.607.0109 (int'l)
Worldwide Internal Services Education            (650)607 0109 (local)
Oracle Corporation

SQL> select standard_disclaimer, witty_remark   2 from company_requirements;

"Controlling application developers is like herding cats." Kevin Loney, ORACLE DBA Handbook
"Oh no it's not! It's much harder than that!" Bruce Pihlamae, long term ORACLE DBA