Re: OracleServiceSID - shutdown question

From: Pete Sharman <psharman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 00:44:55 -0700

OK, let's add one more point to this to clarify the discussion.

Oracle on NT in the earlier releases (prior to 8.0? Someone please correct me if this only came in 8i) had no option than to shutdown abort. The reason for this is the shutdown service capability at the OS level only gave you something like 20 seconds to do a clean shutdown, and we simply couldn't guarantee that in 20 seconds we could cleanly shut down Oracle. By "cleanly" I mean kick off all the users, roll back their uncommitted work, release the locks etc. etc.

In 8.0 (or 8i if my memory is failing me!), there were some registry entries added to NT that allowed you to specify (and again I'm going from memory here so I could be wrong on the specifics) both the type of shutdown and the amount of time to take before proceeding on the assumption it had finished.]

HTH. Pete

--

Regards

Pete

Pete Sharman                              Email: psharman_at_us.oracle.com
Project Manager                           Phone: +1.650.607.0109 (int'l)
Worldwide Internal Services Education            (650)607 0109 (local)
Oracle Corporation

SQL> select standard_disclaimer, witty_remark   2 from company_requirements;

"Controlling application developers is like herding cats." Kevin Loney, ORACLE DBA Handbook
"Oh no it's not! It's much harder than that!" Bruce Pihlamae, long term ORACLE DBA