Re: Database vs. Tablespace vs. Datafiles

From: Alex <alex.hudghton_at_capgemini.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 08:40:25 +0100

Greg

System with 3 disks - disk1 disk2 disk3

CREATE DATABASE - creates system tablespace in datafile system01.dbf (or similar) on disk1

CREATE TABLESPACE - creates other tablespaces (rbs, temp, users, data etc) in data files temp01.dbf, users01.dbf etc on disk specified in data file location

Oracle objects - tables, indexes, etc created in Database - tablespace 'space' used up -eventually tablespace is full

ALTER TABLESPACE yyy ADD DATAFILE - increases size of tablespace by adding a datafile on disk specified in data file location.

So order of database creation is - Database (for system tablespace and control files)

                                                    Tablespaces - for
rollback segments and data
                                                    Users - to access the
database
                                                    Objects - tables,
indexes, etc.

When tablespaces get full add further datafiles to increase their size

Regards

Alex

Greg wrote in message ...
>I'm a little confused on this one. I'm totally new to Oracle, so bear
>with me!
>
>A) I've read tons of docs about the basic layout and policies of Oracle.
>It's my understanding that the DB is the master of it all, followed in a
>pecking order: TableSpaces, DataFiles, then Extents and other OS block
>type objects. Right?
>
>B) But this is what gets me: When I create a DB, I'm asked to assign a
>specific DATAFILE in the create script. Why a DATAFILE? Why have I
>totally jumped around the TABLESPACE here? Why the heck doesn't the
>DataBase CREATE command point to a series of specific TABLESPACEs for
>specific uses instead of a DATAFILE? Then let the DBA assign different
>DATAFILES to the tablespaces as needed?
>
>C) I read in Oracle docs that when I create a new DataBase, it wants a
>system, user, temp, index and "general data" tablespaces. But there's no
>place to add TABLESPACES in the "Create Database" statement! Am I wrong
>on that?
>
>D) I can modify TableSpaces all day long, I've gotten that far. I attach
>DataFiles to Tablespaces with no problem. But further reading states
>that the DataFile must be dedicated to the DataBase with no other uses!
>
>E) I'm lost.. I'd love to get over this hurtle, and I'm sure it's just
>the way I've interpreted all of this, or a mental block or something…
>
>Thanks in advance - Jon
>
>--
>Advertisers using spambots, please don't send to the following addresses:
>president_at_whitehouse.gov vice.president_at_whitehouse.gov
first.lady_at_whitehouse.gov consumerline_at_ftc.gov crc_at_ftc.gov fraud_at_uspis.gov uce_at_ftc.gov rhunt_at_fcc.gov jquello_at_fcc.gov sness_at_fcc.gov rchong_at_fcc.gov customer_at_usps.gov admin_at_HARRIS-MARKETING.COM postmaster_at_HARRIS-MARKETING.COM jmorton_at_SAVOYNET.COM postmaster_at_agis.net abuse_at_agis.net root_at_agis.net dns-admin_at_AGIS.NET noc_at_AGIS.NET hostmaster_at_agis.net pat.connally_at_state.co.us phil_at_agis.net webmaster_at_agis.net
>postmaster_at_localhost info_at_tsf-industries.com protect_at_atg.wa.gov
lemon_at_atg.wa.gov monopoly_at_atg.wa.gov utility_at_atg.wa.gov c4enviro_at_atg.wa.gov emailago_at_atg.wa.gov kea_at_cognigen.com
>document_at_agis.net ip-request_at_agis.net routing_at_agis.net news_at_agis.net
accounting_at_agis.net info_at_agis.net aapp_at_agis.net hr_at_agis.net emailer_at_qlink2info.com simrem_at_answerme.com hostmaster_at_INREACH.COM ap_at_INREACH.COM postmaster_at_EMAILDIRECT.NET abuse_at_EMAILDIRECT.NET root_at_EMAILDIRECT.NET postmaster_at_e-bizness.com abuse_at_e-bizness.com root_at_e-bizness.com comics_at_IAW.ON.CA maxemail_at_UNITED-CBE.ORG domreg_at_EMAILDIRECT.NET domreg_at_HOSTING.NETCOM.COM bobgalena_at_EARTHLINK.NET
>sales_at_marketingmasters.com bizpro_at_SOFTCOM.NET domreg_at_HOSTING.NETCOM.COM
aral_at_ADDITIONALBENEFITS.COM Received on Fri May 21 1999 - 02:40:25 CDT