Re: Oracle parallel server, Sequence SYS.DBMS_LOCK_ID

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 20:22:26 +0100

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I believe the DBMS_LOCK_ID sequence is only used in the DBMS_LOCK package for generating meaningless lock IDs when the application wants to define an end-user lock.

As such it should be safe to increase the cache size on it without causing problems.

However, has some application developer fiddled with it in some way for application purposes. OPS can introduce problems with sequences, because if they are defined as ORDERed (which this one should not be) or NOCACHE then you get a lot of pinging on the SEQ$ block (and its hash partners).

--

Jonathan Lewis