Re: OracleServiceSID - shutdown question

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 17:14:45 +0200

Hi miriam
1 A proper shutdown abort would reflect in the alert log file and this shutdown doesn't. The only thing you see is the crash recovery. This brings me to the assumption that stopping a service simply kills all threads associated with them.
2 Oracle decided to implement their software as an NT-service and NT services work this way. Call them both accomplishes in this crime. Or better still, while Oracle (at least this is known fact about Larry) definitely dislikes NT, they simply can't afford not to make their software available on NT.
3 No, as far as I know there isn't. I didn't do any research because I have always been administering Oracle on NT servers, and that server simply was never shut down. Of course NT stops the services, which in turn.. etc... I always considered the effect of this 'crash' as marginal. 4 A while ago I came across someone making fun of the shutdown procedure of Windows by means of the startup button. But frankly, the only really stable operating systems are Unix and especially VMS. We all know what the fate of VMS is going to be. Sic transit gloria mundi!

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA