Re: Coalesce command for fragmentation

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 13:13:45 GMT

A copy of this was sent to Vick <vramming_at_my-dejanews.com> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Wed, 19 May 1999 20:09:13 GMT, you wrote:

>I read on Ari Kaplan's web page that you can use
>ALTER TABLESPACE xxx COALESCE
>/
>(where xxx is the appropriate tablespace_name)
>
>to defragment tablespaces instead of exporting, dropping and
>importing. And that this can be done "on the fly" with users connected.
>
>I inherited a 3 year old DB and it has never been tuned. It runs, but
>the tables have many extents in the 20's and 30's. This is extremely
>bad from what I have read so far.

*No* it is not bad. 20-30 extents is just fine.

2,000 to 3,000 extents -- that might be bad.

At most, you might consider "alter index <indexname> rebuild" to fixup indexes on objects that have lots of insert/delete activity but that might be it.

You might want to read the white paper at http://www.europa.com/~orapub/papers/abs104.html

>Help would be great or, a re-direct to the source for further research
>material would also be appreciated.
>Thanks very much,
>Vickie

>---Share what you know. Learn what you don't.---

See http://www.oracle.com/ideveloper/ for my column 'Digging-in to Oracle8i'...

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Service Industries
Reston, VA USA

--
Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Thu May 20 1999 - 08:13:45 CDT