Calling dbshut for backup

From: Sam Jordan <sjo_at_spin.ch>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 06:36:29 +0000

Hi

I designed my backup scripts by looking at scripts of experienced db administrators. We are doing cold backups, so we have to shut down the db before storing all files. The backup script is run as cron job (under Linux) by the oracle user. The db is shut down using the 'dbshut' script which is in $ORACLE_HOME/bin.

Now I have run into one problem: if a user is logged in to the db i.e. using sqlplus, then the backup script does hang. I quickly found out, that this was just because the shutdown command is called without 'immediate' parameter, so that the shutdown procedure waits for all users to log out.

But the real surprise came, when I changed the shutdown command to 'shutdown immediate' and the script still hanged. After logging out of sqlplus the script immediately continued its work.

Has anyone an explanation for this and a possible solution to the problem?

bye
--
Sam Jordan Received on Thu May 20 1999 - 01:36:29 CDT