developer 6 server unending install problems

From: dgreen <greensleeves_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 03:18:29 GMT

Having a lot of difficulties installing Developer 6 server with OAS. Despite having read all the online help and associated example web pages, and having had useful usenet replies, don't seem to be making a lot of progress.

Setup is Oracle Enterprise server 8.0.5, OAS 4.0.7 with 4.0.7.1 patch, Jinitiator (from Dev 6 disk), Dev 6 release version as recently downloaded. All this on NT 4 SP 3, 128 MB ram. I have installed it according to the exact sequence given in Dev 6 release notes.

Current situation: after following all steps in readme.htm in the webdemo directory (with no errors), launching the test web page olf.htm stalls while loading an applet (not inited). On a previous try I was able to get further, to a TNS-could not resolve service name error (ORA-12154). This ocurred after developer launched.

One reply said I should try Net 8 easy config, but this does not work with developer 6, we tried (and this is confirmed in the release notes). It is necessary to configure tnsnames.ora manually. On a quick glance the server does appear to already be configured in tnsnames.ora, but if anyone has an example of a properly configured file for this configuration I'd like to see it.

There is a web configuration wizard available on the developer 6 installer, but this is written in java and appears to require the presence of a JDK that is not part of the normal Dev 6 installation. If this would solve the problem, can anyone tell me which jdk to use?

Also, there is some manual configuration info in the online help, but this does not appear consistent with the readme.htm and I fear it is out of date.

Any assistance or commiseration would be appreciated.

dgreen

--== Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ ==-- ---Share what you know. Learn what you don't.--- Received on Wed May 19 1999 - 22:18:29 CDT