Re: Help needed-- free space in tables

From: Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 22:39:33 GMT

On 18 May 1999 20:11:09 GMT, bass_at_octel.com (Bass Chorng) wrote:

>tedchyn_at_yahoo.com wrote:
>: vick, you are able to find out from dba_free_spce. Ted
>: In article <7hpde0$jed$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
>: newbie DBA <vramming_at_my-dejanews.com> wrote:
>: > I need to find out how much free space in left in some tables or if I
>: > should increase the values of MAX_EXTENTS and PCTINCREASE.
>: > Help greatly appreciated!
>: > Thanks
>: > Vick
>: >
>
>dba_free_space only helps to find out free space
>in a tablespace, not in a table. The original question
>was 'in a table' - although maybe Vick did not mean it, but
>to answer this question precisely, you need to run
>dbms_space.unused_space procedure.
>
>This tells you how many blocks are unused within
>the segment.

If we realy want to be precise, we must know that even DBMS_SPACE procedures don't show the number of *unused* blocks. The number you get from there only shows the number of blocks above the highwattermark. The fact is that you may have completely empty table (not a single row in it) occupying thousands of db blocks, but the DBMS_SPACE.UNUSED_SPACE might show you 0 blocks free!

AFAIK there is no way you could determine precisely the number of unused blocks (that is, blocks that don't contain any rows) in a table.

>Regards,
>
>-Bass Chorng

HTH,
Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Certified Oracle7 DBA (OCP)

The above opinions are mine and do not represent any official standpoints of my employer Received on Wed May 19 1999 - 17:39:33 CDT