Re: large access to one big table, help!!

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_hbsrx.com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 15:43:19 -0400

Hi David,

        Short Term: Look at the following:

  1. You may need additional indexes on your table. Also remember that a compound index will not be used unless the first column in the index appears in the where clause.
  2. Check for row chaining in your large tables. If this is a problem determine why. One cause is row sizes that exceed your database block size. If this is your problem you should seriously consider redesigning the table (you might split it into multiple tables for example). A second frequent cause of row chaining is rows that have little data when they are inserted into the table and grow significantly due to update activity. If this is the case you will have to save off the data, drop the table, recreate it with revised PCTFREE and PCTUSED parameters, and then reload the data.
  3. Is your database sized properly? You can find queries that will allow you to monitor your database and its sizing. (a good STARTING point is www.orafaq.org/faqmain.htm just follow the links you will find there and you will come across the queries that you need).
  4. Others will provide some additional things you should look at. I mention these because they are the ones that I have experienced in the past.

        Long Term:

            Get some books on Oracle tuning and Kevin Loney's DBA Handbook for the version of Oracle (7.x or 8.x) that you are using.

regards

Jerry Gitomer