Partitioned view question

From: Gregert Johnson <gregj_at_ctron.com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 15:55:20 -0400

Hello -

We are trying to implement partitioned views under Oracle 7.3 running on Solaris. Our problem is that after defining tables which are the components of a view and adding constraints which define the partition ranges (check clauses on the partitioning column), we've not been able to get the query optimizer to choose a table to scan - it always scans all tables in the view when parsing a simple SELECT:

    SELECT * FROM VIEW
    WHERE PARTITION_COLUMN = <VALUE>;

Does anyone know to get the optimizer to use the constraints to narrow the scan?

Thanks.