Re: SQL server Vs Oracle

From: Jeff Jones <jjones4_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 13:32:22 -0400

>Try PATROL, now bought by an US company: BMC.
Now this one is a laugher. I develop 3 tiered SNMP based monitoring applications for the telecom company I work for. We looked at BMC Patrol, and it is awful. First, it is so proprietary that it interferes with other SNMP agents, rather than following the standards for agents and subagents. Second, it is horridly expensive. Third, its SNMP MIB structure requires much more programming than other agents in order to extract useful information. As a result, we went with empire Technologies' SystemEDGE (American made), an multiplatform SNMP agent that provides everything BMC Patrol does, for far less cost, easier installation on NT and UNIX, and an easy to use MIB structure. Now that I know Patrol is from a 3rd world country, I understand why it is so snakebit.

BTW, my development is all in MS products - VB, DCOM, NT & SQL Server, and they outperform Java, CORBA, UNIX, and Oracle. It took less time and initial cost to develop, and less cost to deploy than comparable UNIX products.

Jeff Jones Received on Wed May 19 1999 - 12:32:22 CDT