password files

From: Jonathan Gennick <jonathan_at_gennick.com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 15:29:23 GMT

I've been researching the use of Oracle password files, and I have a question about the REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE=SHARED setting. Actually, I have several questions. In what scenario would you use it? Since the SID name forms part of the password file name (e.g. orapwPROD), how do you get multiple databases to point to just one password file. Presumably, if I have two databases named TEST and PROD, they will look for two password files named orapwTEST and orapwPROD. How then do you "share" a file?

My last question involves remote authentication. When I use the exclusive setting, I can connect to a database as INTERNAL from a client PC. However, when I use the shared setting, I can't. Why is that? What does the use of shared buy you.

I'm sure there is some scenario that I'm not thinking of where shared makes sense. Can anyone enlighten me on this?

Jonathan

Jonathan Gennick
mailto:jonathan_at_gennick.com
http://gennick.com
Brighten the Corner Where You Are Received on Wed May 19 1999 - 10:29:23 CDT