Re: SPEED UP ORACLE ODBC?

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 15:54:12 +0200

Joseph Kiok wrote in message <37426281.760F2043_at_i-manila.com.ph>...

>I'm trying to connect to Oracle via ODBC and it takes approx
>16 seconds to connect and get the schema of a table.
>
>If I'm connecting via network, it'll take 25 seconds.
>
>Can anyone help on how to make it faster?

IMHO you should check how ODBC is used. Simple example : one of the many database access interfaces you can use in VB generates lovely SQL statements that attempts to select data from MS Access system tables - even if you're trying to connect to an Oracle database using an Oracle ODBC driver.

Other hidden features include running selects on the data dictionary and the user's database profile and all that as part of the connection to the database server.

If you don' run ODBC in PASS THRU mode, the driver gets all uppity and insist on checking the SQL first (parsing and validation) before sending it thru to the database server.

Another problem with using ODBC and something like VB is that all database calls are patched thru intermediate DLLs (libraries) before finally winding up at the door of Oracle's client library that actually sends the SQL across the network.

ODBC is a "nice" solution for small applications - IMHO it's not a choice at all in high volume OLTP applications where databases like Oracle or Informix is at the back-end. Of course ODBC works very well with SQL-Server - even approaching the performance of using native DB-Lib for db access.

regards,
Billy Received on Wed May 19 1999 - 08:54:12 CDT