Re: INSERTing string containing character '&'

From: Arlette BROSSARD <abray_at_club-internet.fr>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 02:54:00 +0200

I'll try to give you information but it's really difficult in English !

True and false. The file can be in a client machine or an other server, but you can't use
UNC names (\\ machine name \ shared directory). It's possible to address the file with a letter drive but
it's not really easy and perhaps dangerous (in a server you can't have a drive for each client machine of the network ! and how manage with permissions ?).

In NT I use the DOS commands COPY and DEL in a command file (.cmd) or in a SQL script (.sql) with HOST.
I begin with a COPY command (UNC names) from the client machine to the server, a call of a stored
procedure wit the script I gived you (I wrote some stored procedures with this kind of script) and a DELETE command to clean the server directory. I just need to be able (NT permissions) to write and delete files in a directory in the server.

For example, the script Insert_names.sql : HOST COPY \\client name\shared directory\...\file name \\server name\shared directory\...\file name
prc_insert_names ('D:\...','file name') or start the PL\SQL script HOST DEL \\server name\shared directory\...\file name

In SQL+ in any client machine, I can start the .sql script which can be in the server :
@\\server name\shared directory\...\Insert_names.sql

Hoping you understood my pidgin English computering language !

abray_at_club-internet.fr