Re: SQL server Vs Oracle

From: Arvin Meyer <a_at_m.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 14:49:07 -0400

Stephen Harris wrote in message <7hs76p$1bd$1_at_nebula.mpn.com>...
>Arvin Meyer (a_at_m.com) wrote:
>
>As someone else has mentioned - W2K won't be stable until 2001 or 2002 at
>the earliest. Anyone who uses it before then.... agh!

W2K has been under heavy beta testing by 10,000 people since September 1997. Beta 3, a RC, is now available for testing and limited production use by 500,000 beta testers. Its projected release is October of this year. Microsoft is now dogfooding all production code for NT on it. It is not only very stable, but were it not for the lack of some third party drivers, it would be ready now.

>: and you should be able to rollout 30 to 40 a day with 2 IT folks. I'd use
>
>Nope, absolutely not feasable. User handholding is a requirement when they
>are given new machines. You say 15 per IT man per day... 7 working hours,
>so at least 2 per hour... 30 minutes per machine? Ha! Totally impossible.

There is NO user handholding. A NetworkPC uses a SmartNIC. The machine is plugged in an turned on, period. The SmartNIC, looks for the install server and using a script, downloads, installs, and configures the O/S and all the applications. One admin can set up 4 to 6 machines an hour, but many networks are unlikely to be able to handle that high a load. I have personally participated in 9 installs in a 2 1/2 period. I was being conservative by saying 30 to 40 a day only because I can't physically unpack and plug in too many of them without hurting my back. Technology marches on, but my back is still in an old body. Better that you start learning the newer technology, than saying "Ha! Totally impossible", or some young kid will have your job.
---
Arvin Meyer
onsite_at_esinet.net Received on Tue May 18 1999 - 13:49:07 CDT