Is copying Oracle Software from one machine to another (alpha/vms) ok?

From: Flora Seymour <fseymour_at_nfpower.na.ca>
Date: 18 May 1999 14:09:20 GMT

Hi There.

We are running Oracle 7.3.3 on Alpha VMS 7.1.

As a part of a disaster recovery effort, we are restoring a full backup of all disks from one machine (DRACO) to another machine (CORVUS). This way we are sure our disaster machine is up-to-date. This includes the restore of the Oracle software. I was a little concerned about this approach , so I did a search of ORA_ROOT:[...] for the original node name (DRACO) and found in three places that I am some what concerned with:

(1) ora_install:ora_beq.dat

     (string found: 1000DRACO)
(2) ora_root:[network]beqlsnr.com

     (string found: arg1 := 1000draco ! this is the beq id (10 unique chars))
(3) ora_root:[network]beqlsnr0.com

     (string found: arg1 := 1000draco ! this is the beq id (10 unique chars))

I also found it in ora_RDBMS:ORA_RDMBS_SIDS.DAT which I am less concerned with.

My plan is to simply edit these files and change all references to the original machine name (DRACO) to the new machine name (CORVUS). Will this cause me any problems ? Should I really be installing Oracle on the new machine from scratch?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,
Flora    Received on Tue May 18 1999 - 09:09:20 CDT