Re: How to set NLS_LANG of a database?

From: Marc <E.Mail_at_address.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 07:52:27 +0200

Because it seems noone else is answering, I will have a try.

Normally a US7ASCII database doesn't understand Chinese characters, so it is normal that they are converted to '?'. My first suggestion is to change the characterset to ZHT16BIG5.

I suppose that ZHT16BIG5 is a two-byte characterset, so I don't think there are other solutions than converting your database, but you might try the following (I have my doubts about this : it might work when converting e.g. WE8ISO8859P1 to US7ASCII, because they are both 1-byte-charactersets, but not from a 16-bit to a 7-bit !).

Before exporting, set the characterset of the client (pc, UNIX-workstation, whatever, ...) to ZHT16BIG5 (on Windows, this is in the registry, on UNIX I suppose it is an environment variable). Before importing the data into the US7ASCII database, set the characterset of the client to US7ASCII and start the import-utility.

When the characterset of the client and the database-server are the same, no conversion is performed, so data are treated as they are.

But again note that I have big doubts about this : I don't have experience with 16-bit charactersets, but I'm very unsure that this second solution will work.

Marc