Re: GRANT/PRIVILEGE PROBLEM: URGENT

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 06:17:25 +0200

Hi Doug (and Julio)

I will describe the following situation, which is how it should work under Oracle 7.
In this particular app no end-user has direct insert, update, delete privileges. Everything is done through packages. The packages are owned by the owner of the tables. Packages run with the privileges of the owner automatically, roles are not being used. In this case no extra privileges need to be given to end-user. That problem should only arise when the package are owned by an user that is not the table owner. The end-users have been granted execute rights on the package through roles. Works without problem. No direct grants on all objects to all users have been made as the packages are owned by the owner of the table. Roles are disregarded because PL/SQL is compiled, and roles potentially change on the fly. This would result in recompilation with every call. Thomas Kyte posted several examples in the last few months. In Oracle 8 this changes in sofar you can run a package with definer rights (the owner of the package) or invokers rights (the user calling the package)

Best regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA