Re: Question on Backup and Recovery Software comments.

From: John Higgins <JH33378_at_deere.com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 20:06:32 -0500

There remains the further question of consistency. Any table(s) rolled back to a prior point in time may be in-consistent with respect to the rest of the database. This doesn't depend on the method of rolling back; both the import from an old export or the import from a newly recovered export have this problem.

This means you may need to import or recover-import more tables than just the 'damaged' tables.

Another tool is a 'log-sniffer'. You can extract the redo and or undo needed for logical recovery. I have used Patrol's DB Log Master for Oracle. I understand Oracle 8i has a 'log sniffer' built in.