Re: Hardware Question

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_hbsrx.com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 13:52:13 -0400

Hi Chris,

    If you want opinions and not facts ;-)

        Go with a four processor box. The faster the processors are, the better.

        If your data is important to the organization go with dual power supplies and mirrored disks. Do NOT use RAID 5, especially NT's software RAID 5 unless you have very patient users. Get enough disk spindles so that you can spread things out and avoid disk contention.

        The more memory the merrier ( I like to have AT LEAST 1GB of RAM on an NT configuration)

As I stated initially these are opinions. They are based, in part, on the idea that hardware is cheap and labor (especially when you have 50 concurrent users) is dear. So, spend the money up front on hardware -- even if it is overkill -- in order to give your user community outstanding performance. Then of course anticipate turning the data base and then all of their queries in order to get the performance.

regards

Jerry Gitomer