Re: Parallel Server question

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 09:12:24 +0200

Garth Decocq wrote in message <7hmt00$m62$1_at_sparky.wolfe.net>...
>If I'm running the parallel server on multiple nodes, do I need a
>hardware cluster to make it work? Thanks for your help.

Not sure about the question - multiple nodes already implies a hardware cluster, doesn't it?

The "ingredients" if you like, for OPS are: 1) a set of raw devices that can be accessed simultaneously by multiple hardware platforms (or nodes) and 2) a method of enabling various read/write locks to be created and shared across the nodes.

In order for different/separate o/s platforms to use the same set of disks and be able to keep global locks of which nodes are locking what segments on the disks, clustering software (and even hardware) are required.

regards,
Billy Received on Mon May 17 1999 - 02:12:24 CDT