Re: Largest Oracle8 on NT box?

From: Vitaliy Mogilevskiy <vit100gain_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 21:31:22 -0700

Hello,

The size of the database doesn't matter, what matters is the processes that you'll be running against it. You can kill 100m database with one "BAD" query. I personally ran Oracle Financial and Manufacturing R10.7SC on NT 4.0 - HP Net Server (1GB RAM, 2x450 CPU, 10x9GB HD) (~3000 tables, ~5000 stored objects, 150 concurrent. users + 50 over WAN, 4 concurrent managers). all I can say - I don't recommend it to anyone - Dr. Watson almost every day. You'll ask why - too much processing, not too big - the database was only 12GB. I bet you can run DSS 100GB or more on NT and never have any problems, because Oracle Database by it self is very stable, what's killing NT is a heavy processing (user exits written in C, reports etc.) That's my experience on this matter.

| Vitaliy Mogilevskiy                                         |
| Senior Consultant                                           |
| CORE Technology Group, Inc.                                 |
| E-mail:    vit100gain_at_earthlink.net                         |
| Fax :      (707) 516-2163                                   |
| Web Page:  http://home.earthlink.net/~vit100gain/index.html |
|            *** Free DBA Script Library at my Web Page ***   |