Re: Question on Perfornance

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 06:34:28 +0200

Hi Mike,
The most important difference between the two types of RAID is the parity check in RAID5. You shouldn't use RAID5 for parts of the database that are continually written to, above all the redo log files. The redo log files are being written to sequentially, and this means using RAID5 for redo log files will slow down everything, as the redo log files are being written, before a transaction is being written to the database.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA