WAN SQL Net Bandwidth Problems

From: Mark Winn <mark_at_SWi.com.sg>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 11:52:44 +0800

We are writing client / server applications with Delphi + BDE + Oracle 7.3 and are experiencing bandwidth problems with some of our customer sites

They have a 128kb/s line to connect remotely to the server and we have the following issues ...

1/ We seem to be sending a large amount of data, in fact we send more data across the network than we recieve which I find astonishing !

2/ We have checked our query costs using Oracle tools and they are all optimized or low cost and almost all of them return single records with a few columns

3/ We send (in one scenario) around 10k of SQL text which appears to be generating around 70k of sent data and 50k of recieved data at the network level

Obviously for this kind of setup the network bandwidth is extremely important and is the most critical in terms of response time

My questions are these ...

a/ Are there any settings, either in Oracle or SQL Net that we can use to minimise the amount of network traffic we cause

b/ Does anyone have any idea of what the formula is for working out the network traffic for Oracle / SQL Net queries sop we can get a better idea of the
speed of line we need

c/ Does anyone have any alternative solutions or any experience in this kind of situation where bandwidth is the important factor

--

Cheers,

Mark Winn

Position : Principal Systems Analyst