Re: Oracle 8.0.5.0.0 setup under Win NT

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 16:48:02 +0200

I saw similar questions were already responded to, but anyway..

  1. No, one system is fine. You do need two databases though. Otherwise you run in the situation you are shutting the system with the OEM repository in it, and then you can't use OEM anymore This is what we call the chicken and egg problem
  2. You need to setup a user distinct from sys or system, I usually call them <SID>DBA. As soon as you connect to that user in the OEM console the repository will be created for you. The user will need SYSDBA privilege. You don't need to a different computer, you need an account in the database you created for OEM purposes.
  3. Oracle Web Server is software to publish data on the web. If you are using Oracle Designer/Developer forms and reports through a browser, you probably need Oracle Application Server, and then you will have a 3-tier architecture. Oracle Web Server in itself has nothing to do with 3-tier archictecture, nor is Net8, that's just the networking software to connect to an Oracle database.
  4. You can only create a table when you have connected to a database. This is the database the table will be created in. Which database receives the table is your decision.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA