Re: temp tables in oracle

From: Andrew Babb <andrewb_at_mail.com>
Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 18:26:28 +0800

Hi,

From what I have been able to discover, the table definition of a temporary table exists in SYS.TAB$ and SYS.COL$, but there is no storage used in side the database (i.e. SYS.UET$).

After the table is created, the definition exists as per above, and when a user inserts data into the table, the structure is references and the data is inserted into the table, but to the best of my knowledge this table only exists in memory (maybe if there is a large amount of data, then it might create a temporary structure within the database).

The data exists from either the transaction or session, depending upon how the table was created. (part of the CREATE TABLE clause).

Hope this helps,
Andrew