Re: SQL server Vs Oracle

From: Arvin Meyer <a_at_m.com>
Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 18:37:48 -0400

David wrote in message ...

>So as a startup, what are my options.? To go out and buy a used 486 with
>Word 2 for $800 or buy a brand new PII for $1000 which will run circles
>around the 486?

Actually you can buy a used 486 for about $350, but it still doesn't begin to stack up against a PII for $1000.

>Let me give you a little education as to why Microsoft is currently being
>harrassed by the Justice Department for so-called 'monopolistic' practices.
>Do you know how much Bill Gates gave to the Democratic party during the
>elections? NOTHING. In good spirit, the democractic government is now going
>after Microsoft and Bill with a vengence. Unfortunately Joe-6 pack doesn't
>understand this.

Actually the reason is that Bill Gates gave NOTHING to EITHER party. Between Orin Hatch of the State of Utah, (home of Novell and ex-home of WordPerfect) and a few other political scum-buckets both Democratic and Republican, they decided that this just wouldn't do. It doesn't matter that Gates gives billions to education and charity, the politicos get nothing. The DOJ lawsuit is little more than an attempt to teach Bill Gates a lesson. The fact is that narrow-minded people always despise the rich, so the DOJ may get away with it. If Microsoft is broken up, I'd bet everything that I have that computer technology will take a 5 year step backward.

There is nothing even remotely available that empowers business and individuals like Windows. Nothing! Not the Mac, not Linux, ... nothing. In the end another "superpower" will emerge, with the exact same "monopolistic" practices as Microsoft. In the long run we'll gain nothing by it. ---
Arvin Meyer
onsite_at_esinet.net Received on Sat May 15 1999 - 17:37:48 CDT