Re: Possible to use Oracle Enterpriser Manager with 8i?

From: Keith Shum <kshum_at_iLux.com>
Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 21:25:41 GMT

After I installed Oracle8i on a NT machine, I found out that I missed a lot of stuff compared to Oracle8. For example, OEM. Yeah, I would think Oracle from now on will switch to using Java for their utilities. For example, those user interfaces like Database creation wizard.
However, missing OEM is not quite a big deal for me since they provide Server Manager and SQLPlus (in command like mode), and I can still do whatever I want from there.
If you don't install JVM (I believe it's 1.1.7), then you might not be able to use those interfaces then.
Hope this can help you a little bit.
In article <7h5k08$ar6$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   jmsalvo <jmsalvo_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> Is it possible to use the Oracle Enterprise Manager product ( that
came
> with my Oracle8.0.5 CD ) to be used with Oracle8.1.5 (8i)?
>
> The Oracle8i Enterprise Edition CD that I got from Technet do not
> include Enterprise Manager with it, but the 8.0.5 EE CD has.
>
> If not, then I'll just stick with 8.0.5 for a while 'coz 8i requires a
> LOT of memory anyway (due to Oracle JServer JVM option?) !! Can you
> actually install 8i without the Java option, or will Oracle from now
on
> release their database products with a JVM (for whatever reason
> like because it is now tightly integrated) ? I mean, like if the
client
> wants Oracle but not the Java that comes with it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John Salvo

Keith Shum @>~>~
kshum_at_iLux.com