file oracle.dbf ascii HPUX11

From: Lokman <lokmanm_at_pc.jaring.my>
Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 20:18:15 +0800

After creating an oracle 8.0.4.5.1 database on HPUX11, with db_block_size=8192 bytes, I run the unix 'file' command against the data files. Instead of returning 'data', here's what I get,

$ file *

control_T8KB_1.dbf:     ascii text
control_T8KB_2.dbf:     ascii text

log01T8KB.dbf: data
log02T8KB.dbf: data
system01T8KB.dbf: ascii text
$

In spite of the 'ascii text' classification, the instance seems to behave normally, i.e., I can query, insert, update, export/import, and the alert logfile looks clean. We only noticed the problem when attempting to re-create the control file. The CREATE CONTROLFILE command fails when it sees datafiles with type 'ascii'.

So far, we have seen this problem only with an 8192 byte block size, reproduced on 2 different HPUX boxes. /etc/magic has not been modified.

If you have had similar experiences, would appreciate any comments.

Regards,
Lokman Received on Sat May 15 1999 - 07:18:15 CDT