Re: join of dba_lock and v$session goes to lalaland

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 18:05:42 +0100

Try hinting rule-based optimisation,
then first_rows in the query. This might solve the problem.

There are lots of odd little utitilities around that get thrown completely when the optimiser mode is not rule (or is something other than that used when the utility was created).

I came across a (very expensive) backup suite recently that required the database to be running in rule mode, otherwise the script to get the list of tablespace and files to backup took about 1.5 hours to run.

--

Jonathan Lewis