Re: SQL*Net

From: Vincent Ventrone <vav_at_mitre.org>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 08:18:55 -0700

J Holden wrote:

> Is it possible to install SQL*Net on a server without installing a
> full database? If so how or where can I find something to tell me
> how? Everything I have found so far has been after a database is

Sure -- but the mechanics depend a bit on the platform. For UNIX, load the CD into an accessible drive & bring up the installer. Depending upon which version of Oracle you have, the screens will differ somewhat but you want to pick "custom install" (not default) & navigate your way to "install software only", "add/upgrade products" (or seomething like that). Pick SQL*Net. Don't be surprised if you end up using a lot of disk space -- Oracle will drap down a lot of required files even for just one product. Installing on NT is similar & probably a bit more straightforward -- just click the Install or Remove buttons to get to where you want to be. But with either OS you want to get to the screen in the installer that lists products available on left & prods. installed on the right (I *think* it's called the Software Asset Manager screen)
--
Vincent Ventrone
DBA, Dept. R101

The MITRE Corp.     |    "...In my opinion there's nothing
M/S C020            |     in this world beats a '52 Vincent
202 Burlington Rd.  |     and a redheaded girl."
Bedford, MA 01730   |      -- Richard Thompson