Re: Oracle Exports and 2 GB file limitation

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 11:58:49 GMT

A copy of this was sent to Andrew Babb <andrewb_at_mail.com> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Fri, 14 May 1999 09:22:16 +0800, you wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Can't be certain about this one, but I seem to remember that 8i is now
>supporting the concept of exporting to a file name, with a suffix sequence
>number, and specifying the size of each portion.

yup, in 8i:

FILESIZE
Export supports writing to multiple export files and Import can read from multiple export files. If you specify a value (byte limit) for the FILESIZE parameter, Export will write only the number of bytes you specify to each dump file.

>This would be similar to an export to a pipe, which is being piped through
>SPLIT.
>
>Rgds
>Andrew
>
>Aspi Engineer wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> We are running Oracle 8i on AIX 4.3 and wanted to find out if Oracle
>> will allow you to export a table/file that is more than 2G in size. If
>> yes, then what is the maximum file size that can be exported before I
>> need to think about partitioning the database tables.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Aspi Engineer
>> aspi_engineer_at_striderite.com

See http://www.oracle.com/ideveloper/ for my column 'Digging-in to Oracle8i'...

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Service Industries
Reston, VA USA

--
Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Fri May 14 1999 - 06:58:49 CDT